This post was sponsored by King’s Hawaiian as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own. #KingsHawaiian #KingsHawaiianLunch #IC AD
We are in week three of school and I am all out of ideas for the lunch box. The kids are tiring of the same old, same old too. So the other day, when my daughter brought home the coolest purse ever that easily converts to a Chinese take out box lunch kit, I got an idea! Why not add some real flavor to my kid’s lunch boxes? So I deconstructed what I had been doing and started from the ground up… the bread! Anyone who has shopping in America knows that King’s Hawaiian is the best deliciousness on shelves! So, idea in hand, I headed to the store for King’s Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls and some other ingredients. After all, Sarah’s new lunch box deserves some real flair! Like quick and easy Teriyaki Chicken Sandwiches!
Almost everyone I know is a HUGE fan of the King’s Hawaiian Original Dinner Rolls. That is the honey yumminess I love. Toast it up and add some butter and cinnamon and you have an instant sweet dessert! Add garlic butter and toast it for taste bud delight or smear some peach preserves and honey on it for a snack that you will want every single day of your life!
But did you know that they also have King’s Hawaiian Sliced Bread? Yep. There is now no excuse not to amp up the lunch box! The unique flavor of King’s Hawaiian bread allows it to be used in a variety of recipes, ranging from sweet to savory.
I grabbed all three off the shelf at my store.
What? Did you not read about the peach preserves and honey?
I then grabbed some shredded chicken, some jarred teriyaki sauce and some mayo! Oh, and some Swiss cheese because.,…cheese. Let me tell you… Teriyaki Chicken Sandwiches are a Must for Lunch Boxes Everywhere!
So there are two ways to do this recipe. You can make a ton of chicken in the slow cooker or buy it shredded. I like the slow cooker chicken best but sometimes, when you are packing three lunches for three late girls, none of whom can find their shoes, you need a microwave edition.
Here is how you do it:
- 2 King’s Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls
- shredded chicken
- teriyaki sauce (I used jarred but you can make your own)
- Swiss cheese (optional)
- Slow cooker chicken
- Add 4 chicken breasts and a cup of water in the slow cooker. Cook on high 4 hours. Shred chicken. Add about ¾ - 1 cup of jarred teriyaki sauce and then use to top sandwiches. Refrigerate leftovers. Heat up a little at a time for your sandwich.
- In a bowl, add enough chicken for 2 King’s Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls and then a few TBSP or so of teriyaki sauce. It really is to taste. Heat chicken in microwave for about 30 - 40 seconds.
- Top King’s Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls with the chicken. Add piece of cheese. On the top of the sub add mayo.
- Fold up in tin foil so that your child opens up a warm, delicious sammy at lunch!
Now, listen. Your child may come home and want these for a snack too. Go ahead. There is no fighting it. They are really, really good! I even add pickle to mine for more bite too!
Now that I have a sandwich, ie: the base of the flavorful lunch, I add the additions. Carrots and ranch, diced pears and some yogurt.
Now, it is possible Sarah just eats the sandwich and the dessert but I am good with that. I am, most likely, having the same lunch at home…
Alright, your turn! What is your creative lunch idea? We all need a lot of ideas for the school year!