**This is a post in collaboration with Farm Rich Products. All opinions are my own**
Four school days. That is how many we have left! I am excited but a little nervous. As a mom who works from home, I need to be able to thwart the “I’m bored” comments with things that will keep my kids happy, occupied all while helping them maintain some of what they learned over the school year! Instead of having nothing on the agenda except one family vacation, I decided to make a Must Do Summer Bucket List. It is an easy list, one that anyone can do. Plus it takes little effort on the parents part, which is important for anyone who has other things to do besides entertain the kids this summer! Check out my summer bucket list below and let me know what you would add!
1) Plan a picnic in the yard with easy snacks – This is an easy one and can actually be planned and executed mostly by the kids. The other day I was in Walmart and came across Farm Rich Smokehouse BBQ packs! Available in Smoked Pork, Smoked Chicken and Pulled Beef Brisket in BBQ Sauce, these easy to heat up real foods are perfect for that filler or topping for an easy meal. Just throw them in the microwave, add your own sauce if you want and toss them on nachos, into cheese dips and more! I made some delicious Tacos with Easy Mango Salsa! The recipe for the Salsa is below. My kids, and I, loved them. They are a delicious wrap and go idea for the perfect picnic! Just wrap them in foil and pack them in a basket for a yummy lunch!
- Farm Rich Smokehouse BBQ, any variety
- BBQ sauce if you want to add it
- Lemon Juice
- Lime Juice
- MultiGrain Tortillas
- While heating up your chosen variety of Farm Rich Smokehouse BBQ, dice up the mango and grapefruit into a bowl. Chop about a tablespoon of cilantro and add it. Squeeze ½ lemon juice and ¼ lime juice to the mix. Add BBQ filling to your taco (add BBQ sauce of your choice if you want), top with Mango Salsa!
2) Hit the water park – In most areas there are now water parks that are affordable and fun for the whole family! I just took my kids to one and plan on going back. It was surprisingly relaxing for me and I have three kids under 8 as a single mom, one still a little nervous about swimming. While the kids play in the large wave pools or go down their favorite slide 10 times, you can relax at the bottom or better yet, join them! Most water parks let you take picnics in too. So pack your tacos and your sunscreen and have a fun day that wears everyone out!
3) Let them paint – My kids love to paint! I often will take them to an art class that lasts a few hours and guides them through the creative process. However, they can get expensive! So I create one at home. Buy the paint, canvas, and brushes and cover the kids in upside down plastic bags with the necks cut out as smocks. Help them draw something on a canvas and then let them go with their imagination. This activity keeps my kids busy for a while and creates great art for their room!
4) Plan trips to the library – This is possibly one of my favorite ways to entertain my kids in a cool area while still enhancing what they learned all year. Our local community college has an amazing summer line up that includes puppet shows, readings with the kids, computer classes and more. I can go in and work while we spend the morning exploring all there is to do in the library!
5) Sidewalk chalk mazes – Sidewalk chalk is one of the coolest inventions ever! I hand my kids the pack and they head out to draw and create with little prompting. One thing I love to have them to is to create a sidewalk long maze or path that they can try to get out of. They can make it large or small and walk through it or try to ride their bikes through it! It is a ton of fun and often occupies them for a while!
6) Head to the Children’s Museum – Another cool and fun bucket list item is the Children’s Museum. Ours is two stories of total entertainment that is inside and out! With science, mathematics, nature and fun being the central focus, all you have to do is watch and take photos. Our museum allows us to bring food as well, so pack those tacos and enjoy a day in a cool museum!
7) Plan evening pool parties – We love the neighborhood pool but it is often too hot and crowded during the day. So I like to invite friends and neighbors down to the pool at night and let the kids play as late as they would like. It accomplishes two things: it lets them wear themselves out for bed and they often sleep in the next day, giving me a quiet morning to get some work done!
8) Movie night – There are so many great movies that came out this year! We saw a lot of them that we would absolutely see again! So head to your movie provider and order a few for a movie night on a rainy summer night! I like to pop in Farm Rich snacks like Fried Ravioli and Breaded Mozzarella Sticks or FarmRich Wings and Bites to snack on during the movie! I have been known to do a double feature too, which makes hanging out on the living room floor with mom that much more fun!
Whatever is on your Summer Bucket List, stay safe and have fun! With the right ideas ahead of time, we can all make summer the best time of the year!
Farm Rich and I want to help you #StockTheFreezer for your Summer Bucket List! ONE of my readers will WIN a $100 Visa Gift Card (for the winner to use towards their own summer bucket list… for sidewalk chalk and paint supplies or for entry to the water park or children’s museum in their town!) and of course coupons for free Farm Rich Smokehouse BBQ, Wings and Bites! Just enter below and GOOD LUCK!
Giveaway Open to US Residents, 18+ Only. Giveaway Ends 6/12/2015
It looks like your girls had lots of fun. My nieces love water parks too. Thank you for the awesome giveaway :)
You are so welcome, Sue!
What a fantastic bucket list for summer!!! There is a great variety of activities to take care of any boredom, and yet keeps their creative juices flowing all summer long. I envy you with the three young girls, my children are all older now and are off doing their own things, including jobs. We do manage to have dinner together, though, most nights, which gives us all a chance to talk about our day. I’m going to have to try the Tacos with Mango Salsa for a quick dinner one night.
I think my days of having them all wanting to be with me are numbered!! LOL I’ll be where you are soon enough! I will cherish the dinners as much as you do :) And you raised good, independent, kids… there is something awesome about that!!