This shop about my Steak Crostini with Fontina & Honey Recipe has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HoneyForHolidays #DonVictorHoney #CollectiveBias
I have a confession to make. I want to impress every time I have someone come over. I have failed in the ‘perfect house’ category and it is possible I have failed in the ‘most stylish woman’ category but I am proud to say that I can still cook. Mama can cook good, y’all. In fact, my goal these days is to so impress with the amazing food on my table that my guests don’t really notice the chewed couch from my rescue dog or the toys that seem to gather in my living room overnight for a game of ‘hide under mom’s feet’. But, after a while, the creativity goes. It seems to hang out with that ‘extra time’ thing I had before kids. So every once in a while, when the kids are in school, I will roam the aisles of Walmart looking for inspiration for something amazing and impressive that will make guests ooh and aah and ask for the recipe. My Steak Crostini with Fontina & Honey Recipe does just that. Thanks to a little jar of Don Victor® Honey tucked away on the Hispanic Foods aisle, way up high above my 5′ 1″ frame, I have a recipe that will not only blind people to the stain on my previously ‘nice’ shirt, but will have them wanting to make it again and again to impress their guests!
Another confession? I did not know that you can eat the honeycomb in a jar of honey. Yep. I learn something new everyday. But as I searched the internet with my Don Victor® Orange Blossom Comb Honey Globe Jar sitting next to me, looking for that recipe that will make me the talk of the neighborhood, I learned that the honeycomb can actually be considered a delicacy! A sliver of it on something as simple as a warm English muffin, which softens it and releases and aromatic sweetness, can send your taste buds into their happy place! In all of my years of eating in nice places, I have always assumed the honeycomb in the middle of my crackers and cheese plate was just for show. But NO! It is part of the appetizer, meant to enhance the flavor of anything you taste!
With my newfound knowledge, I started planning. I wanted a recipe what was both savory and beautiful that could be enhanced by the Don Victor® Honey, which, by the way, is raw, unfiltered honey that they never heat up or process in any way! More importantly, I wanted to up the game with the use of the honeycomb that comes inside!
After some toying around, and possibly some pieces of honeycomb on warm biscuits right out of the oven, I hit a winner with my Steak Crostini with Fontina & Honey Recipe! Seriously, the appetizer jackpot has been hit with this one!
- 1 loaf of sourdough or other hard bread
- 1 flank steak
- Fontina cheese (or other soft cheese you like)
- 1 jar Don Victor® Orange Blossom Comb Honey Globe Jar - 16 oz
- Olive Oil
- Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet and brush lightly with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Pull out and let cool. Set your broiler to high and place the flank steak under it for about 6 minutes. Flip the steak and heat the other side another 6 minutes. You want the steak pink inside but a little brown on the outside.
- Meanwhile, open the Don Victor® Orange Blossom Comb Honey Globe Jar and pull out the honeycomb with a spoon. I laid a slotted spoon over the top of the jar and placed the honeycomb on top so that it could 'drain' the honey back into the jar.
- When the steak is done, let it rest for 5 or so minutes. Then cut it, against the grain, into thin pieces.
- Add a piece of cheese to the crostini, then top with the streak. Slice a sliver of the Don Victor® Orange Blossom Comb Honey Globe Jar honey comb and place it on top. Drizzle with honey and serve.
The crunch of the bread, the tart of the cheese and the savory of the steak blends together to create a n outstanding recipe. But the sliver of the honeycomb from the Don Victor® Orange Blossom Comb Honey Globe Jar makes this appetizer one that will amaze! The tiny hint of sweet along with the unexpected creaminess of the honeycomb sends this appetizer into a taste category all its own. And it is amazing!
I am so impressed with the flavor of Don Victor® Orange Blossom Comb Honey Globe Jar that I am searching for even more recipes to use it on! I’ll store the jar on my pantry shelf to help prevent crystallization and grab it for something as simple as pancakes or as delicate as these Steak Crostini with Fontina & Honey appetizers!
(Psst: Don’t refrigerate your honey. If your honey crystallizes, simply place the honey jar in warm water and stir until the crystals dissolve, or place the honey container into near boiling water that has been removed from the heat.)
Now that I have a new ingredient to create amazing recipes, I can get back to planning the perfect holiday get together that will be both elegant and unexpected! Those are the best kind, after all. As an added plus to any party, I will have some extra jars of Don Victor® Honey on the table for guests to take! What a fun and festive gift idea!
Have you ever eaten the honeycomb? Share with my your recipe ideas that will impress!