Sometimes I do crazy things with food. Things I never thought I would. Like using SIXLETS® candies from SweetWorks as an add into cupcakes. Nor did I ever think I would put a Shimmer Gumball on top! But I decided to give it a try and the results were amazing! These beautiful cupcakes have a little taste of chocolate in the cake. Add my Homemade Buttercream Icing and a Shimmer Gumball and you have cupcakes everyone will love. Like maybe for Easter!
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1¼ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil (or applesauce)
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup SIXLETS, broken up
- 3 Cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup real butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream (can use more if consistency is too thick)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Make cake according to instructions on the box. Use a mallet to mash the SIXLETS in a plastic bag. Add them to the mix. Fill cupcake papers ¾ full. Bake according to the box.
- Meanwhile, Use a hand blender or a standing mixer for the icing. Mix softened butter and confectioners sugar. I added one cup at a time. Add in the whipping cream, vanilla extract and almond extract and blend 3-5 minutes until smooth. Add more whipping cream for desired consistency.
- Let cupcakes cool, ice and top with Shimmer Gumballs.
I absolutely love the variety of candies that you can get from SweetWorks. Everything from pressed candy to chocolate eggs and imprint candies. SweetWorks has everything you need for Easter and for Springtime!
I love that the SIXLETS® blend into the mix as they cook. You see little bits of chocolate as you bite into the cake, but the flavor of the candy is infused throughout!
How would you use all of the awesome candies in your recipes? Try our SIXLET® Rice Krispie Treats too!