Let’s face it. The best part of a cupcake is the icing. The best part of the cake is the icing. And the best part of baking is licking the icing off of our fingers. You know, in case we accidentally get some on our fingers. Or spoon.
Homemade icings are always better tasting to me and I know what goes in them! For a while now, I have been using the basic Butter Cream icing recipe but lately, I have been trying to jazz it up! I add things to it sometimes like cinnamon and even chocolate chips, just to make it interesting. But one flavor I have found that helps bring down the sugary taste and bring out the flavor is… are you ready? Almond extract!
Yep, Almond Extract is my secret ingredient!
I am not a HUGE fan of almond as a flavor but if you add about a 1/4 teaspoon to your recipe for Buttercream Icing, it takes the ‘sweet’ edge off.
- 3 Cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup real butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream (can use more if consistency is too thick)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Use a hand blender or a standing mixer. Mix softened butter and confectioners sugar. I added one cup at a time. Add in the whipping cream, vanilla extract and almond extract and blend 3-5 minutes until smooth. Add more whipping cream for desired consistency.
I love this recipe for everything from cupcakes to cakes to a thin filling inside of pancakes. Add fun food coloring to it to make an extra special treat for the ones you love!
My kids love that they can help decorate and I love that I know exactly went into the foods they are eating. Create fun cupcakes with decorative lollipops or even in fun shaped pans! The options are limitless when you make your own icing at home!
What secret ingredients do you add to your Buttercream Icing?