Fall is in the air. Pumpkin flavored everything is coming out, but another favorite flavor of fall is apple. After a day of apple picking, these cupcakes will make a fun treat for the kids.
Apples are probably one of my favorite parts of fall. I still recall our first grade field trip to the local apple orchard. We all got to pick apples, taste them, and see how apple cider was made. At that time I decided Granny Smith’s were my favorite. Something about the tartness must have excited me. I now prefer a much tamer flavor for eating my apples, but granny smith are fantastic for baking with!
While this recipe calls for apple pie filling, if you wanted to take the extra time to make your own, it’s not too difficult. The freshness of homemade apple pie filling would be worth it. However, I know we are all leading pretty busy lives, so if you don’t have time to make your own, canned filing works fabulously!
Don’t those look beautiful? Little cakes full of apple goodness. Ah, I do love the fall season! Try these cupcakes and let me know what you think!
- 1 Box White or Yellow Cake Mix + box ingredients
- 20 oz Apple Pie Filling
- 1 cup softened Butter
- 3 cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat oven and line muffin tins with paper liners. (use temperature on box mix)
- Prepare batter according to box directions
- Fill liners ⅔ full and bake according to box directions for cupcakes
- Allow to cool completely
- Use a knife to dice apples into smaller pieces
- Use a knife to core out a plug in the middle of each cupcake and fill with pie filling
- Place just the top of plug back on cupcake
- Whip butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla until fluffy
- Gradually add powdered sugar
- Add milk until you reach desired consistency
- Transfer to piping bag and frost each cupcake
Check out some other cupcake recipes that we love!