Ahh… dinner with family. The ultimate adventure in making something that will please everyone with a less than 50% success rate. It can be very frustrating. On that rare night when you find that dish that is good for them, full of flavor and a family hit, you laminate the recipe and glue it to the fridge! By adding Hillshire Farm® Polska Kielbasa to my white bean and spinach soup, I got that recipe! Usually, I add chicken but, to be honest, I am tired of turning to chicken every time I need protein in a meal. My family, and I, LOVE sausage, so being able to replace the typical protein I use with sausage is a dinnertime winner that makes me Oh So Happy! Keep reading to learn more about this amazing Slow Cooker Sausage, White Bean and Spinach Soup!
I found this recipe on and have been dying to try it ever since. I added a little Lori flair, like using dried beans instead of canned ones and Hillshire Farm® Polska Kielbasa instead of the recommended sausage. I like the flavor better and the quality of the sausage is unmatched. I also left out the onion since my family just doesn’t care for them and I don’t think it takes away from the flavor at all.
Getting started is simple. If you are using dried Great Northern Beans like I did, you have to prepare them first. You can soak them overnight or do a quick soak. Pour a 1 pound bag into a pan with 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil and let boil 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover for an hour. Then add them to the slow cooker!
I do this in the morning while I am getting everyone off to school. When I get back from the bus stop, I prep the sausage and get the rest of the ingredients into the slow cooker!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (12.8-ounce) Hillshire Farm® Polska Kielbasa rope sausage, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 Lb bag of dried Great Northern bean or 2 (15-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach
- (If using dried beans, follow the package instructions to prepare them to use.)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add Hillshire Farm® Polska Kielbasasausage, and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Place sausage, garlic, carrots, celery, beans, oregano and bay leaves into a slow cooker. Stir in chicken broth and 2 cups water until well combined; season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours. When done, stir in spinach until wilted.
A few tips when making this amazing meal.
– Use high quality ingredients. Use fresh veggies and not frozen and cut them yourself. Use fresh baby spinach and not frozen as well!
– Spray your slow cooker with a non-stick spray prior to adding ingredients to make it easier to clean.
– You can freeze this soup so make a lot! Just heat it up slowly on the stove or on medium heat in the microwave.