The other night I was taken to an amazing little restaurant in a small town next to mine. It was one of those chef run kitchens where the menu changes often and the food it always amazing. At least, that is how I felt about it by the time I left. Still in my, ‘should make better choices’ mood, I chose my meal of Cod with a smile. But I was also convinced to try their Cauliflower Soup as an appetizer. Now, I am not a huge fan of Cauliflower so I was hesitant. But when it got to my place, I was quickly reminded that some foods can be made to taste amazing! After that taste, I had to come home and make Slow Cooker Roasted Cauliflower Soup so I could have more!
I got home and immediately started thinking of how to make the soup at home. I would need my slow cooker, of course, and a recipe I loved that could be converted. I chose Baked Potato Soup. Now, listen, Baked Potato Soup is one of my all time favorite soups. But it is not the best to eat, especially in slow cooker size. So I decided to take some of the same elements and to see if I could get the same type of soup with cauliflower!
I can honestly say that I am a genius. Well, maybe not, but this Slow Cooker Roasted Cauliflower Soup came out so creamy and so delicious that I am having a hard time leaving the leftovers in the fridge! I love the extra warmth that roasting the cauliflower in the skillet gave this soup. It has an earthy warmth that reminds me of the restaurants. This was so easy and is such a perfect meal on a cold night. The flavor is light and rich and you can feel good about eating it too!
- Add first:
- 1 large box chicken broth (32 ounce)
- 1 head cauliflower cut into chunks, no green
- 1 cup diced leeks
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tspn turmeric
- ½ tspn cumin
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Add 30 minutes before serving
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- Add in bowl:
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- chives or dill or another fun green herb
- top with shredded cheese
- In a skillet, toss the pieces of cauliflower until slightly brown in a small amount of olive oil. In a 6-quart slow cooker add the chicken broth, roasted cauliflower, leeks, garlic, turmeric, cumin and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Add everything from the slow cooker in to a blender, or use an immersion blender, cover and pulse until smooth. Pour back into the slow cooker. Add shredded cheese and cream, stir. Let cook 30 minutes. Add salt to taste. Serve topped with bacon, cheese and chives.
You can get an immersion blender on Amazon (this is an affiliate link) and you can upgrade your Slow Cooker to the one I love most too!
You can also do this recipe and leave out the roasting part! It still tastes amazing!