When I say that this Slow Cooker Candied Sweet Potato recipe is amazing, I mean it is amazing!! But the one two punch is, that because you make it in the slow cooker, you open up your oven during the holiday season for other recipes. The other awesome fact, by making it with SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener, I cut the sugar in a recipe that is a must have on my holiday table! Now you may ask… what’s the point? But the truth is, since signing up and taking the #GoodbyeSugar30 last month, which I saw a lot of you joined me in, I have been hyper aware of the amount of sugar I consume. Honestly, I had no idea how bad my sugar consumption was until I did the challenge. As a result of really watching my habits I am trying to take refined sugar out of as much as I can without sacrificing taste! This Slow Cooker Candied Sweet Potato Recipe will not only save you time but also deliver the taste we all love on the holiday table!
If you missed the first post about the SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener #GoodbyeSugar30 challenge, let me give you a quick overview. SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener is challenging you to spot the places in your diet where sugar is added, and identify the occasions where you can easily swap out the added sugar and the calories with the delicious new SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener. The goal of this 30 day challenge is to give you the tools to make small changes in your lifestyle that can help you reduce added sugars and calories, without sacrificing taste.
For more information, visit SplendaNaturals.com and hyperlink to.
Since there are more than 60 names for sugar that may appear on the ingredients list of foods you buy or that are added during the cooking or preparation of the food you eat, this challenge can be so hard. But understanding these sugar terms is key to identifying, removing and/or replacing added sugars in your diet. The Stevia leaf extract found in SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener is a component of the leaves of the stevia plant. Stevia plant leaves are harvested, dried, and then steeped in water. This liquid is processed to allow the intense sweetening components, including Rebaudioside D (Reb D) extract, to be isolated, purified and dried. The sweet flavor that comes out gives you the taste you desire without the refined sugar you don’t.
I have used SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener in my coffee, my cookie, recipes, my cupcake recipes, in my sauce recipes for chicken and anywhere else sugar is called for. I have not noticed any discernible change in flavor but have noticed a lighter texture! It has been a great challenge for me and I plan on keeping it going.
Now onto this amazing recipe that will have all of your guests begging for more!
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- Turn the slow cooker onto low. Spray it with cooking spray. Cut the sweet potatoes into bite sized cubes. Place in the slow cooker. In a bowl, mix the SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener and the brown sugar together. Top the sweet potatoes with the mixture and then pour the melted butter over the top.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Set your oven to broil.
- When the slow cooker is done, use a slotted spoon to remove the sweet potatoes to a serving dish and leave the liquid behind. Scoop out ⅓ cup of the liquid and mix in the corn starch. Add the rest of the liquid to a sauce pan and heat to warm. Add the ⅓ cup of mixed liquid in and bring to a slow boil to thicken. Once thick, pour over the sweet potatoes in the serving dish. Stir gently. Top the dish with mini marshmallows. Set under the broiler, watching closely, until the marshmallows are toasty and brown. Serve immediately.
I honestly can not tell the difference in this recipe and the one I was making with sugar. It is absolutely delicious, saves your oven space for something else and makes great leftovers too!
The Slow Cooker Candied Sweet Potato Recipe will be a family favorite for years to come and since we are all signing up take the #GoodbyeSugar30, you can enjoy it without the guilt!
Sign up now to take your own #GoodbyeSugar30 and get real about your sugar intake! There are tips, tricks, fun giveaways and more every day!
What recipes would you try with SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener? I would love to hear all about it!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.