Fall is officially here, and with that comes apples and pie. When you’re in the mood for pie, but don’t want to make a full crust, or you have a lot of apples to use, try these Lattice Baked Apples.
I love the look of these little single serve apples. Hollowed out, filled with apple pie filling, and topped with pie crust – it’s the perfect fall dessert. I know some of you eat pie for the crust, but there are a few of us who love the filling more. These lattice baked apples are for us.
Who knew melon ballers could do so much! They’re the perfect tool for hollowing out your apples. Just don’t get too close to the peels, you’ll want a little bit of apple still in there. After you refill the apples, top it with pie crust in a lattice design, then bake and you’ve got a sweet treat.
The lattice top is truly easy to make. Unroll your pie crust and cit into strips. Cut those strips into thirds to fit over the apples. If you want you can create the lattice on the countertop first, then carefully move it to the apple – or create it on the apple. Remember over, under, over under. Each apple will use 6 strips of crust.
- 1 Refrigerated Pie Crust
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp warm water
- 10 Granny Smith Apples
- 3 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- Caramel Sauce Drizzle (optional)
- Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl and stir until dissolved.
- Core, peel and dice 2 apples.
- Add apple pieces, cornstarch mixture, ½ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon to a pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Slice off top of each apple.
- Use a spoon or melon baller to hollow out inside of each.
- Fill each apple with cooled filling mixture.
- Cut pie crust into ¼" strips just long enough to go across the apple.
- Form strips into a lattice pattern on top of each apple.
- Whisk together egg and a little water to make an egg wash.
- Combine ¼ cup sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
- Brush crusts with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- Place apples in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until crust is brown and filling is bubbling.
- You can drizzle with caramel sauce is desired.
Want some more great recipes with Apples? Check out these other favorites!