This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
#SimplyHealthy #CollectiveBias #ad
Ahh, Winter. That magical season where the snow falls and beautifully blankets the Earth, where Reindeer become magical and a jolly man in a red suit shakes his belly like a bowl full of jelly. It is also the season where it is easy to join Santa in the loosening of our belt. To help deter the ever growing size of our jeans, we can incorporate some healthy eating into our holiday meal plan. Luckily with resources like Healthy Living Made Simple online magazine and it’s awesome articles about healthy living, we can create some dishes that make us feel like we are cheating but keep us on track! Like warm and delicious Creamy Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup!
We all need help this season. Especially if we are baking and cooking and planning and shopping and… well, you get the idea. Online magazines like Healthy Living Made Simple and their super easy app can help all of us make better decisions for our everyday meal! With great ideas and twists to your favorite meals that can make them a little better for all of us, those holiday season we can join the healthy club easily.
I have always loved sweet potatoes. I love the sweetness, the ease of using them in recipes and the rich, warm color they produce. So learning all about them as a super food in the Healthy Living Made Simple article was really cool. Shopping the other day at Sam’s Club, I picked up a large bag for an incredibly reasonable price and promised myself that I would make a big batch of Creamy Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup!
This recipe is not only fairly easy to make but the aroma filtrates through the air and makes your tummy growl with anticipation. The creamy texture makes it the perfect curl up under a blanket and sip your healthy soup! I made a huge batch and plan on reheating it and having it A LOT this holiday season!
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 ¾ cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes
- 3 ½ cups water
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped carrot
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon salt Pinch of pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup chopped sweet onions
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Move onion mixture to side of pan. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to open space in pan. Increase heat to medium-high and cook 1 minute or until butter begins to brown. Add sweet potatoes, water, broth and carrots. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer 35 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Place half of soup mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape). Secure blender lid and place clean towel over lid opening to avoid splatters. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into large bowl and repeat with remaining soup mixture. Stir in half-and-half, salt and pepper. Top each serving with a touch of thyme.
- Per Serving: Calories 296, Carbs 46g, Fat 11g, Protein 5g
Now, I am kind of a throw it in the pot and hope it comes out delicious food kinda gal. But this recipe was so easy to make and to keep on top of that I had no issue. During the cook times, I got other things done. My kind of recipe!
The soup itself is to DIE FOR! Seriously, it is good. It has a little sweet, a little holiday tweek and a texture that makes you feel like you are getting a meal that will make your belly very happy! I absolutely love it and am so glad I was turned onto it!
There are so many awesome things you can do with Sweet Potatoes to make sure you maintain your healthy eating ways over the holidays! Check out all of the Sweet Potato recipes now and enjoy the tips and tricks to healthy living with the online magazine and app from Healthy Living Made Simple!!
What healthy eating recipes do you have to share? I would love to hear all about them!
CONNECT WITH SAM’S CLUB
Twitter- https://twitter.com/SamsClub Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/samsclub
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/samsclub/ Google+: https://plus.google.com/+samsclub