With Easter upon us I am always searching for fun things to do with my kids. One of them is not grocery shopping, by the way, but the other day at the store, while getting baking goods for other fun treats, I stopped and stared at the marshmallows like I had never seen them before. I wanted to create some Easter treats but was out of ideas until I realized that if you use the large marshmallow as the ‘butt’ and the small ones as the ‘feet’, you might just be able to create Bunny Butt Cupcakes.
Well, the kids laughed and laughed at the name but were more than willing to give them a shot. They may not be perfect but the memories of the day certainly are! So we thought we would share how we did them!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- vegetable oil
- 1 can fluffy white icing
- green food coloring
- bag of large marshmallows
- bag of small marshmallows
- pink and purple tube of icing
- sprinkles - green or 'grass'
- piping tips
- writing icing
- Bake the cupcakes with the oil, butter and eggs as directed on the package. Let them cool completely. Once cool, blend the green food coloring and fluffy white icing together. Ice the cupcakes with a thick layer of icing. Add sprinkles to decorate. You can use the tip of a fork to 'pull' the icing up to look like grass blades. Use a serrated knife to cut a large marshmallow in thirds. Stick the cut side of one piece on the cupcake as the 'butt'. Add two small marshmallows as 'feet'. Use the tubes of purple and pink icing to create the tail. Use the writing icing to create the feet.
My girls and I had SO MUCH fun making these. We had even more fun eating them! They are easy and fun and just take a little imagination to make them reality!
Do you love making fun treats for Easter? Check out my Berrylicious Bunny Cake too!
Get more great Easter ideas in the cookbook Semi-Traditional Easter Recipes.