‘Tis the season indeed!! Excitement is in the air, turkeys are flying off the shelves and gifts lists are being written out with the sales circulars open on the table. The holiday season is officially here! With the shopping, planning, decorating and roasting comes marathon baking days and sweets galore! Marathon baking all of my favorites, though, can come with an overload of sugary sweets that I will have to work triple hard in CrossFit to get off my hips! Enter a No Calorie Sweetener! My secret ingredient to make my treats taste just as amazing as always without the cups and cups of sugar! In fact, some of my recipes come out lighter than with regular sugar. For instance, my Peppermint Meringue Cookies get a lift of air as they melt in my mouth in sweet deliciousness that you will love!
When I say these are little clouds of a hint of Peppermint with a savory taste of chocolate, I am not exaggerating. Seriously, these are so light that you can put them in your mouth and just feel them melt. I, personally, am not a huge fan of peppermint. But these little peppermint clouds combined with the taste of chocolate make them the perfect cookie for any holiday occasion.
Here are a few tips when making meringue anything.
- Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature before you start.
- Putting the leftover meringue in the fridge will cause it to fall. You can beat the ingredients again to bring back the white fluff.
- Use parchment paper to bake any meringue item. A Silpat won’t work. It has to be parchment paper.
- These cookies break very easily so make sure they don’t move around in transport.
- Make double or tripe the recipe. Trust me. You will want more and more and more!
Peppermint Meringue Cookies
Start this recipe with time to spare. They bake in a 200° oven for 2 hours. Try not to overcook them as they will eventually burn. In addition, let them cool for 20 minutes or so before you gently dip them in chocolate. They break very easily, especially the tips, so make sure you are gentle with these little clouds!
- 6 large egg whites
- 1½ tspn white vinegar
- 1½ cup No Calorie Sweetener
- 1 tspn peppermint extract
- red food coloring, gel or liquid
- ½ cup chocolate melting wafers
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites until white peaks are formed. Add the vinegar and beat. Add the No Calorie Sweetener ½ cup at a time, blending well on medium. Beat in the extract. Take a pastry bag and paint or drip a few lines of red food coloring inside. Add the meringue to the bag, slowly. Lining a baking sheet with parchment paper, snip the end of the piping bag and slowly create your cookies. Put in a 200 degree oven for 2 hours. Pull out and let cool at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate wafers per bag instructions in the microwave. Gently, really gently, dip the bottoms of the cookies in the chocolate and place back on the parchment paper. Let cool and additional 2 hours and serve!
I absolutely love making these.
Let me know if you make them!!!