This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
If you ask my middle daughter, Sarah, she will tell you that Hormel Pepperoni is the absolute, hands down, best snack ever. If I leave the bag out, she will devour the whole thing. She gets it from me, I won’t lie. I can eat an entire bag all on my own too. One of my favorite ways to incorporate Hormel Pepperoni into our meals is to mix it into things. The Hormel Mini Pepperonis are perfect for salads, soups and my Mac and Cheese Cups! I use the larger ones for a spicy layer in lasagna, on burgers and just to snack on with cheese. The product is versatile, delicious and so fun to incorporate!
During the time that the weather starts to change from cold to warm, the flowers start to bloom and the Springtime feel is in everyone’s step, dishes that are easy to make and fun for my kids to eat are a must. I love to make Mac and Cheese Cups with Hormel Pepperoni and to serve them up with a vegetable side. It is a classic mac and cheese recipe with a little twist.
- 2 Cups uncooked macaroni
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 Cup milk
- 1½ Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1½ Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Cup Hormel Mini or Regular Pepperoni
- ½ Cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 TSP olive oil
- ½ TSP salt
- Cooking Spray
- Spray cupcake tins with cooking spray. Set aside. In a bowl, mix breadcrumbs, olive oil and salt in a bowl. Set aside. In a pot of water, cook the macaroni 8 minutes. It will be firmer than done. Drain and add back to the pot. Add butter and the egg and mix to coat the macaroni. Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese, all of the mozzarella cheese and the milk into the pot on the heat. Mix until the cheese has melted. Add the Hormel Pepperoni and stir. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop mixture into cupcake tin until almost full. Add remaining ½ cup of sharp cheddar cheese, a little to each cup. Add a little breadcrumb mix to each cup. Add 3 - 4 pieces of Hormel Pepperoni Mini's or one large Hormel Pepperoni to the top,. Put in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Let cool a little so the cheese will solidify the cups. Remove and serve!
A few tips on this recipe:
– Take your time. I found through trial and error that if I rush though these, I almost always miss a step. I reread the instructions many times even though I make them a lot. You don’t want them falling apart once you are done!
– Make sure the cheese is melted in the macaroni before transferring them to the cupcake tins. I turned off the heat once after adding the cheese in and did not melt them. When I pulled them out of the tin, they collapsed and the cheese was not covering adequately.
Check out how I made it on my Instagram Video too!
– Have fun with it! I have added broccoli, red peppers and even shredded carrots in these cups to get a little more veggies into my kids! They don’t notice because they love the pepperoni so much and it makes me feel like they get a little more of the veggies they need!
Cooking with good ingredients that the family loves is always a fun thing to do! I avoid the ‘I don’t like that’ comments with this recipe every time. The Hormel Pepperoni adds a little twist to the regular flavor and my kids love it! The creamy, cheesy texture mixed with the little kick from real pepperoni is always a great meal! Add some colorful veggies to make the meal even better!
How do you enjoy your Hormel Pepperoni? Do you eat it plain like my daughter or do you have a great recipe you add it to? I would love to hear your ideas!