I love a good home cooked meal, but when they take me back to my childhood, I truly can’t resist. Shepherds Pie is just that for me – home cooked, warm and comforting, and full of childhood memories. How can you make your favorites without spending hours in the kitchen? Check out this Easy Shepherds Pie Recipe for a quick weeknight meal everyone will love!
Shepherds pie is like my ratatouille. One bite and I’m transported back to my mom’s table. A little girl eating good food. For some reason though, it really makes me think of my grandma. I can’t recall her ever cooking it specifically, but she loved potatoes, and when it comes to Shepherds Pie potatoes are key. In fact, there are only 3 staples to shepherds pie – ground meat, mashed potatoes and vegetables.
Now those 3 ingredients will make a decent shepherds pie (I’ve done it before!), but a couple more will enhance the flavor and truly turn this into a meal worth making over and over again. Add a little garlic, onion, worcestershire, milk, flour and of course some salt and pepper, you’ll be good to go! Most of these things, I’d wager you have in your pantry already, making for not only an easy meal, but budget friendly as well.
- 1½ lbs Ground Beef
- 4 cups Mashed Potatoes
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 12 oz Frozen Peas and Carrots, thawed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and add ground beef, onion and garlic.
- Cook until browned and drain.
- In another skillet or pan, melt butter and add flour. Cook roux for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in Worcestershire and milk. Cook for 1 minute to thicken.
- Combine beef mixture, gravy and thawed vegetable.
- Place in baking dish.
- Top with mashed potatoes and place in oven for 20-30 minutes until heated through.
Get more easy recipes with some fun cookbooks like