There is almost no better memory for me than opening up the tin can on the counter at Christmas time to find a beautiful and delicious Saltine Cracker Toffee my mom had made. For years I thought it was her original recipe. That only my mom could make these amazingly delicious and festive pieces of holiday happiness. Truth be told, I shuffled into the kitchen late at night when I thought no one could hear me and snagged a few more. They are SO good. Fast forward years later and I am standing in the aisle at the grocery store trying to come up with something super special for my kids when the unmistakable aroma and taste of this Easy Saltine Cracker Toffee Recipe comes to mind. Grabbing Light Brown Sugar, I was on my way to bringing a childhood favorite to my kids!
There are three things I love about this recipe. One, it is soooooo good! Like, sooooo good. Two, it is super easy to make and three, it is versatile for any holiday! Add crushed candy cane for a peppermint flavor. Add red and green candies for a festive look! Add marshmallows for a s’mores type treat! The possibilities are endless!
The base is 4 ingredients, the oven is your friend and the desire to make them over and over again is real!
As with anything, though, the quality of a food is only as good as the ingredients used in it.
Check out my Easy Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Smoothie Recipe for another good one made with organics foods!
Now that you have the high quality ingredients you need, let’s make these Easy Saltine Crackers Toffee Recipe!
- 40 salted saltine crackers or enough to line your pan
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 cups milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup chopped pecans, marshmallows, candy canes and/ or candies
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with saltine crackers in a single layer.
- In a small pot combine sugar and butter and bring to a boil. Once mixture is at a boil, continue boiling for 3 minutes. Mixture should be a deep caramel color. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers completely. Bake at 400°F 5 to 6 minutes. The crackers will look all bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and let sit a couple of minutes to melt. Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for about 1 minute then spread crackers with the melted chocolate. Top with chopped nuts if desired.Cool completely and break into pieces.
Don’t these look amazing? I would totally share but they are all accounted for. But you can make them in no time and love them forever, like I do!
What holiday recipes bring back the memories of your childhood?