Recipe by Beth M
We enjoy how we feel eating healthy, but are always looking for new recipes. This recipe was an experiment and turned out fantastic, so of course we had to share! Ground Turkey in Summer Squash Boats make the perfect low calorie dinner. Add roasted red and orange peppers to made the meal complete!
There are times when we just want some good comfort food without all of the fat and calories. Taste is not spared in this delicious recipe and the bonus is that it is all guilt free! I have had my fair share of healthy dinners that leave me feeling like I am “on a diet,” but this recipe is not one of those meals! Full of flavor and packed with healthy vegetables, this recipe was a huge hit all the way around.
- 2-3 Summer Squash halved, and center scooped out.
- 1 lb Ground Turkey (browned & drained)
- 1 Small Onion (diced)
- 2 Cups Sliced Portabella Mushrooms
- 2 Stalks of Celery (diced)
- 1 12 oz Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 12 oz Water
- Sprinkle of your favorite cheese
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- After browning and draining the ground turkey, add onions, celery, cream of mushroom soup, salt, pepper and water. Simmer 20 minutes. While simmering, bake the hollowed summer squash on a cooking sheet at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and add the turkey mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until slightly golden. Top with your favorite cheese.
We are considering this same meal using taco seasoning and festive vegetables, we will keep you updated! Happy healthy eating!
Incorporating a lot of fresh vegetables is not only filling, but will provide many vitamins and minerals that your body will savor!